Friday, January 05, 2007

207 for 2007

A few years ago, I made a vow to never make grand new year's resolutions anymore. I did this because they are lame and suck the life out of me. About the same time, I stumbled on a random blog (I don't who's) and "borrowed" her idea. It's basically just a huge-ass to-do list for the upcoming year.

Instead of one or two big, nebulous things that you want to do and will most likely quit or fail at (like lose weight or get organized), you break everything up into small, specific actions (lose 10 lbs. or organize DVDs). This way, even if you don't do everything you wanted, you can see progress at the end of the year. That's the theory anyway. I mean, there aren't really any rules to it all.

The first year I did it, I completed exactly 25% of my list. Which kept my theory that I was only living up to 25% of my potential going strong. The next year, I skipped out on it completely. On the 206 for 2006, I had to disqualify 19 items for no longer being relavant to my life. Of the 187 that remained, I legitimately crossed 68 off the list. That's 36%... and I consider that a triumph indeed.

I have 8 different categories: family/friends, academic/career, house, financial, mental/physical, creative, materialistic & miscellaneous. And this year, I couldn't stop thinking of things to add so I have 234 items instead of 207. But don't worry, I'm not going to post the list here. I will be updating my blog with a few of the items as I complete them. I'm not shooting for any specific percentage to accomplish... but I do have a good feeling about this year.