Thursday, December 08, 2005

Imagine

Unless you live under a rock, you probably know that today is the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's murder. Me, I was all of 4 years old when he died so I can't speak to the experience of that time myself. I "discovered" (doesn't every teenager think they're the first to discover something) John Lennon when I was in junior high... I caught a Beatles documentary on cable and was hooked. I immediately took to John because he was clearly the smart and talented one. And Paul's an asshat (and clearly, that's my new favorite word)... sorry, he's not untalented and he maybe used to be cool but... ok, here it is:

It's Lennon-McCartney, fucker... you made a deal so deal with it. Work out a new deal w/John in your afterlife but right now, shut the fuck up cause nobody wants to hear it. And that's all I have to say about that.

Anywho - I suddenly loved me some John Lennon. So, I did what I do when I'm interested in any new subject... I obsessively researched. Checked out every book and video and CD at the library and soon I knew more about John Lennon than anybody ever. Heh... right. But I did know a lot more than anyone I knew. John was a super intense interest of mine during my junior high & high school years. I highly recommend the Imagine: John Lennon documentary, which I used to check out the out of the library every chance I'd get. I watched it over and over and over and it now has a place of honor on my TVR...

His art - music, visual, all of it - was is incredibly beautiful & inspiring to me. I hope that teenagers will be "discovering" him until the end of time and that one day soon the world will truly live as one... just as he imagined.